Friday, June 23, 2006

Selling stuff on half.com and other e-classifieds

Years ago, I sold a few books on half.com. Now that we're going through storage and getting rid of stuff, I'm using it to sell books and CDs again. I kinda thought it went away after eBay bought it, but it seems to be thriving.

The big plus for selling stuff through half is that it's so easy. Once you've set up a seller's account with the usual personal info (like Amazon or any other vendor wants), you just go to their "sell an item" page and type either the ISBN number or UPC barcode number into it, and up comes your item's picture and description. Then you just select the condition of your item (New, Like New/Unopened, Very Good, Good, Fair (they won't sell unsellable items). Then it gives you info on the prices that that item are going for, and you choose a price. It lists for some indefinite period (certainly longer than the usual week on eBay auctions), and if somebody buys it, you get an email complete with instructions, an address label, and the end of which serves as a shipping statement. They give you a shipping allowance (which is more than I need to ship stuff so far), you ship it and let half.com know it's shipped with a click. I ship CDs in CD mailers, which is just a matter of folding them around the CD, taping it shut, and labeling it. Every 15 days we get paid. Books are harder, but Doni's taking care of shipping them.

Much easier than eBay, which typically takes me around an hour to set up an auction. The downside is that it's hard or impossible to sell items that aren't in half.com's database, but about 80% of the old stuff I'm getting rid of has been in there so far. We're making an area in storage for the rest, which will go on eBay when I get around to it.

I'm also going to sell the nice 50's vintage drill press that I got for helping Michael with his auction, and I think I'll try putting it up on Craig's List, because that's more local, and there's no way I'm going to ship it anywhere. Thanks for the nice drill press Michael, but I don't think I will be able to afford to take such items to our new digs, wherever they may be.

The one other way to get rid of stuff is with "freecycle", which, like Craig's List is simple and local. It's a list for giving stuff away for free, so I'm sure there are people who really monitor it. The weird thing, though, is that within minutes of posting a metal vise to give away, requests for it came in, and they then came in at the rate of several per hour until I pulled the ad. It's free, and good for stuff that might go to Goodwill but Goodwill is persnickety about some things (like maybe an 80 pound steel vise). I might use it again, but I might not. Lots of interaction just to give stuff away.

I'm off to get another pile of books for half.com. Until next time, stay the course!

4 Comments:

Blogger vivage said...

Does the drill press work? Not that I NEED a drill press but depending on how small a bit it can accomodate I'd like to know.

6/23/2006 2:07 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

The drill press works; I don't know how small a bit it can accomodate, but I've chucked a pin vise in a drill to get the really small bits in there.

But, it's dang big! It's 2 or 3 feet tall, with a 2 or 3 foot arm, and it weighs a bunch; at least 50 pounds. It's a little rusty, and since it's 50's technology, I wouldn't call it entirely safe; exposed belt and pulleys on swingarm, and no "double insulation" stuff. It's currently mounted on a stand, and the whole assemblage is at least as tall as me.

If you want, you could come by and have a look at it (Bring a truck and you can pick up the windshield and Swing Auditorium panels too!)

6/23/2006 3:25 PM  
Blogger vivage said...

Yeah, that is one big sucka! LOL, I don't think I need anything that big.

Hey, maybe I can convince Bill to get me over there in the next few days. I appreciate you letting the windshield hang around!

6/23/2006 8:29 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Viv,

If it would be easier than convincing Bill, we could run the stuff by in our truck too.

If you come by, I'll show you the drill press anyhow.
Come on by! ;->

6/24/2006 2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home