Friday, May 05, 2006

Casual Sunday with TV's Kyle Live at Worthington's



I'm writing this on May 21, two weeks after the event I'm talking about.
This is the first time I've re-written a post so long after I originally posted it. The first eight comments were responses to that post. All later comments (if any) will be after I changed the post. Originally, this was an enthusiastic announcement of our first gig with Casual Sunday, May 5 2006.. After the gig, it seemed wrong to me. We were really looking forward to that gig, but,...

Well, that gig was a disappointment. We were under-rehearsed, the venue was a difficult shape, we didn't do a proper sound check, and the regulars weren't generally too keen on novelty music. Casual Sunday did okay, but Kyle's band didn't do too well, to put it mildly. Kyle was a trooper, though. Casual Sunday and TV's Kyle Live are unlikely to play together again, except maybe at a party of our own device.

The week after the gig, Ken realized that playing with Kyle is a bigger commitment than he's able to make. Although all the other guys in the band were willing to proceed for now, Kyle and Lindsay and Doni and I decided to just go forward with the four of us and hook up with a pro drummer to be chosen from folks Kyle knows in L.A.

The rest of this month, I'm just overloaded with gigs and schoolwork; we're re-tooling with PA gear and electrifying Doni's uke. Next month, we return to learning Kyle's music with the new lineup.

Worthington's Tavern will probably become Casual Sunday's new Sunday venue, though; the clientele fits us, and we like to use those gigs as live practice.

Here's the link to Kyle's myspace page about his album and our live efforts.

Now, I'm off to play with the Klones...

... I'm back from the Orange Blosom Festival. The Klones gig went well. We were on a smaller stage than in previous years, which at first I felt disappointed about. But as we performed, I discovered that the lower stage allowed us to relate better to the audience. The old Budweiser stage was a nine-foot-tall stage, which meant we were really looking down at the audience This stage was more like three feet high, and so you could really boogie with the dancers, nice. The sound was good, everyone had a good time, the vendors and staff liked us, and, well, a good time was had by all.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Congratulations! Darn shame we won’t be able to see your show. Please tell us how it went.

Be seeing you soon – like around beginning of July?

Dave

5/06/2006 9:25 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Dave,

Thanks, and see you soon (Yeah!)!

5/06/2006 9:57 AM  
Blogger vivage said...

How'd it go? I was thinking about ya'll yesterday and rocking out in my own private little world.

pldfwybe = Why be plaid? Said backwards to confuse.

5/08/2006 2:48 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Dave, Early July sounds great to me!

Viv (and anyone else interested), you can read about how the show went in Donita's Deviantart journal.

5/08/2006 4:34 PM  
Blogger vivage said...

Yikes, way bummer.

Hey, btw, I forgot to mention, very cool poster. I am assuming that Kyle did the drawing and you put the rest of it together? I'm figuring it's yours cuz of the doggie at the bottom.
vofacw: My fact.

5/08/2006 5:46 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Vivage,

I'm sure the issues that were raised by that performance will get sorted out.

For the flyer/poster, I took the cover art from Kyle's "Why Fidelity?" album
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/tvskyle
and then played around with our old Casual Sunday Flyer. I was originally going to put Kyle's drawing in a corner of something like the old flyer, but Doni wisely decided to start with the album cover. She told me where to put stuff, and I did.
Then I insisted on having Boz in the picture, and our compromise was to put him in the corner. I'm pretty sure that the whole band thought that they turned out good. I don't think that they increased our audience though! ;->

5/08/2006 7:10 PM  
Blogger Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

Sorry I couldn't make it. This weekend was a lost one for me, what with all the end-of-the-year teaching crap.

5/08/2006 11:02 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Babor, your luck was with you this time.
Soon, we may be able to present a more appropriate event for you to participate in. That's my hope, anyway.

dbgdiumd - how I felt Sunday night.

5/11/2006 3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home