Sunday, January 29, 2006

Mailing it in

Did you know that you can create a "secret" email address for your blog, and if you email to it, it will get posted on the blog (or just sit there awaiting your approval if you'd rather be careful). This is my third posting to my blog via email (I deleted the first two experiments). It works fine, with the email subject becoming the post's title, but it doesn't seem to handle links or pictures correctly. That's okay, though, because most of my blogging is just plain text.

To enable emailing posts to your blogger.com blog, just log in, go to the blog's settings page, select Email from the list across the top, enter a "Mail-to-blogger" email address "secret name", and click the publish checkbox if you want the blog to publish all emails. Click "Save Settings".

And that's it! It worked the first time for me. I added that address to my address book with the name "blog" so all I have to do is send "blog" email.

We'll see how this goes in the longer run, but it's fun for now!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Wow, I was wrong about links! I was trying too hard. When I first mailed in test postings for this blog, I tried links with all the html stuff in place. Y'know, less-than-a-href-equals-quote-address-quote-greater-than-address-less-than-slash-a-greater-than, to describe the unpostable. But you don't need to! apparently, if you just drop a link into the to-be-mailed posting, Blogger wraps it in the proper html gobbledygook while publishing. You can see that in my RepRap post, above.

Now I just need to figure out if I can mail in a photo...

2/15/2006 11:01 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hmm, maybe I was wrong about being wrong about links!
It worked once, but now it's not working again. No matter, I just edit the links to look right later.

2/24/2006 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home