Friday, April 14, 2006

Daisy is Dead


Kyle told Lindsay she should start a webcomic, and she has. Daisy is Dead is her web comics site for her cartoon by the same name. She only has two comics put up there, but I think she's doing a real nice job with the site itself. Oh, and the comic, of course!

I've been helping her where I can, and today I just got to thinking about how to easily allow user's comments.
One idea I had was to create a blog and keep posts synchronized with the actual cartoon strip on the other site.
Each new entry would also have a blog entry. So I played around with it some and came up with this proof-of-concept blog. It mostly works, but there are no links to it on Daisy's site, and of course it should have Lindsay's profile there, or maybe somewhere else.

Anyway, I got a kick out of it, and I thought you might like seeing the beginning of Lindsay's second comic strip series.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

I tried a different blog template, and Donita and Lindsay couldn't add comments. I've restored the template, have a go at it now and let me know if there are any problems.

4/15/2006 10:18 AM  
Blogger vivage said...

Nice work Jim. And dang, Lindsey is Talented, with a capital T.

4/15/2006 9:07 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks, Viv! And she is!

4/17/2006 9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a very talented family. I'm so impressed with the quality of the work. I love the comic.

What tools does Lindsay use to draw these days? And what web tools are you using?

Very nice.

Dave

4/23/2006 10:40 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Dave,

Thanks for all the nice things you said.
I think that Lindsay usually pencils her cartoons on an artist's notebook, then outlines them with a pen, and then scans that in and uses Photoshop to clean, color, and size the cartoon for publishing, either to the web or for her school newspaper. Lindsay could correct me.

The main web tools are Photoshop and Dreamweaver (a Mac-based web editor akin to FrontPage). Picking up Dreamweaver was frustrating for Lindsay, but she seems to have the hang of it now.

4/27/2006 2:58 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I asked Lindsay what tools she uses, and she replied:

I sketch them with a col-erase pencil, ink with a paper mate fine tip brush pen something or other (I don't remember what it's called) and color in photoshop.

Although the Daisy blog looks pretty good, LIndsay would rather have blog/news on her Daisy pages, so I'll probably delete the Daisy blog sometime soon.
It isn't a total loss, though; I learned how to do a few things in blogger and CSS that I hadn't tried before.

4/28/2006 11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home