Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The last Orange Blossom Festival?

my backstage pass

Ken's band, "The Klones", have been playing at Riverside's annual Orange Blossom Festival for years. I've played with them every year for the last 3 years. Two years ago, it rained and the turnout was quite small. We played on the "Budweiser Stage," a large portable stage set up at the corner of 7th and Market. It had a large PA system, with two sound men, one for the stage monitors and one for the front of house (FOH) sound. They also provided backline guitar and bass amps, and direct inputs (DI) for the keyboards. It was fun to play there, with all the trappings of a pro show. The sound was great, and we rocked out.

The next year was hot, with a big turnout, and all the trappings again. We rocked again; quite fun.

This year they moved all the "classic rock" bands to the smaller "Microbrew Stage" at the corner of Fifth and Main, right in front of that great soul food BBQ restaurant. At first I was disappointed with the smaller stage, but it turned out to be a boon. Instead of looking down at the audience from a 9-foot height, the 3-foot stage allowed us easier and better interaction with the audience. Although predictions were for rain by the time we started, it was a really nice day and the weather held until hours later. As usual, we rocked the crowd, and had great interactions. Tim (bass), Ricky (lead guitar) and Ken (my brother, mostly rhythm guitar) were all wireless, and the low stage allowed them to jump down and play from within the audience. Ken went inside the BBQ and played (to the staff's delight), and Tim rode a mechanical bull across the street while we played the closing song, "Born To Be Wild." Then the audience started shouting for more, and we came back for two encores! Very nice. We only had one soundman at the stage, but the PA was high quality, and the soundman did a great job. I had a blast. I look forward to this gig every year; the Klones are at home with folks who really appreciate them, and really play their best, and having professional sound controls the levels so that, even though they are loud, they are well-mixed.

So I was disappointed to hear that the Riverside City Council is expected to vote to discontinue the Orange Blossom Festival. You can read more about it here (while the PE has it up, anyway). A couple of the council members think it attracts the wrong element, and there were a few incidents, mostly involving drunks and officials. None of them sounded too serious to me, though. I've never seen any real problems while I've been there, but I didn't spend a lot of time away from the stages, and I have never been there after sundown. Nevertheless, I would expect some incidents in a festival like this. Santa Rosa hosted the Sonoma County Fair, with plenty of "incidents" each year, but the show is generally considered to be a net plus for the community, and I don't think anyone ever seriously considered shutting it down. I think Riverside needs to deal with its problems and keep this little bit of character that remains for this community. The article makes it sound almost certain that they'll delete the Festival, but I really hope they don't. (Interestingly, the PE invited comments on serving beer at the OBF, and the comments were almost unanimously against it).

6 Comments:

Blogger vivage said...

I'd like it to be a dry festival. Our town and alcohol don't mix. And possibly spread out a little more. I've only gone to the festival in Santa Barbara once and that one was great...lots of room to walk and see everything. And yeah, they had all kinds of liquor there.

5/23/2006 10:20 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Viv,
I think you may be right. I was in the house band of a Sonoma County winery, and despite there being lots of alcohol consumed at their events, I never saw any of the hooliganism, shenanigans or roughhousing that I've witnessed around here in the last two years. (No mullets, either. I'm convinced that there's a correlation.)

And I see in today's PE that the Orange Blossom Festival has indeed been axed. I hope that they can figure out something nice to replace it with. Doni and I would like to see it moved to Fairmount Park; throw the current inhabitants out for the weekend, secure the perimeter (you can do that better there than downtown), and really make it a family-friendly affair. Ah well... maybe next year I'll play at the Wednesday Night Markets in some form.

5/24/2006 8:45 AM  
Blogger vivage said...

I think you're on to something regarding the mullets. Instead of banning festivals, they ought to ban mullets.

5/24/2006 10:47 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Yeah, mullets are the (or at least "a") problem.

I always liked the "long-haired hippie" look, but when I moved back down to Riverside, I discovered that long hair on men has been adopted by what appears to be this weird combination of beer-guzzling, cult-of-stupidity, bible-thumping (excuse me) scum.

It kind of breaks my heart.

(I mean, I grew up here, and as far as I knew, it was a relatively open-minded, enlightened community. In fact, Santa Rosa looked relatively closed-minded by comparison. I was away for 23 years, and nothing seemed to change in Santa Rosa, but when I moved back to Riverside, it has become a radically different place. I mourn the loss...)

5/24/2006 10:57 AM  
Blogger vivage said...

Yeah, it seems to me we used to be very democratic and now we're mini-OC.

Although I remember long hairs being partiers rather than the artistic, enlightened or open-minded types. Might have been where I grew up tho.

5/24/2006 5:19 PM  
Blogger Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

My complaint about most "cultural events of this nature in Riverside is that they do little to truly reflect the cultural diversity of this town. Kill all of the orange trees, but celebrate our heritage. Why not celebrate the Indo-mezo-afro-asio-anglo heritage of this town? In addition to all of the rock bands, why not offer more musical diversity?

As for liquor, it might cut down on the amateur assholes out there, but the true assholes will find a way to sneak liquor in.

5/30/2006 6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home