Thursday, September 28, 2006

Ukulele master Jake Shimabukuro on NPR radio today


While I drove Paige to Ramona this morning, I was listening to NPR and a story came up with an interview with uke master Jake Shimabukuro. It was a great, fun, informative interview, and so I thought I'd share it with you.

So, click on this link, and then click on the "Listen" link under the "In the Hands of a Master, the Ukulele is No Toy" title to hear the 7:15 interview.

His new CD, "Gently Weeps" was released this week. You can hear snippets of that and buy it if you want from the NPR page.

Oh, and in case you don't know who Jake is, or maybe want a reminder, here's a YouTube video of his version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (I'll bet this video has really helped spread knowledge of Mr. Shimabukuro):

4 Comments:

Blogger Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

Jake is God.

9/28/2006 10:51 PM  
Blogger vivage said...

I so want to see the Youtube thing but dang it my browser hates youtube. maybe tomorrow I'll open up another browser and get to listen to him.

9/28/2006 11:51 PM  
Blogger vivage said...

Wow.

9/29/2006 3:06 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Redhen, I think that he's pretty well-behaved in this interview, but his uke arrangements are pretty flashy. It's funny to me that you can go to youtube and search for "while my guitar gently weeps" and find a ton of folks attempting to play his arrangement.

The Concert for George was great, and "I'll see you in my dreams" was my favorite performance from it!

Oh, and by the way, happy birthday, my dear friend!

10/09/2006 10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home