Sunday, September 17, 2006

A Spongebob Week: The Best "The Best Day Ever" Day Ever!



Okay, not necessarily the _best_ "The Best Day Ever" Day _Ever_, I just hadda say it that way.

It's just been " a very spongebob week" as this cool album was released. A lot of people were involved that Kyle has introduced us to, including Kyle, Gruber (The Naked Trucker), Jillinda (keyboard player of "The Breakups" in L.A. and Foley / Sound Effects artist for the series), Andy Paley (the drummer with "the dick-around gang", Naked Trucker's house band, but more importantly an amazing musician), and others.

The first time I heard "The Best Day Ever" and learned a little about Andy Paley, I was amazed. When Andy was younger, he had a group with his brother called (naturally) The Paley Brothers. They did cool new-wave music similar to the Ramones. They also played with The Ramones. Andy's done a lot and can play just about every instrument except maybe brass and woodwinds, and he also helped Brian Wilson (of The Beach Boys) on his comeback tour a few years ago. Knowing that connection, it's amazing how "The Best Day Ever" sounds like a Beach Boys song! Brian sang backup vocals on a song on this new Spongebob album, and it definitely shows. The last remaining Ramone (Tommy) also played on one song. All in all, if you can get past the lead vocals by Spongebob (Tom Kenny), this is really a cool album.

(On "The Best Day Ever," besides writing (with Tom Kenny) all the songs, singing background vocals and producing the recording, Andy plays guitar, bass, drums, percussion, piano and organ, stringed guitar-family instruments, clavioline, marxophone, marimba, vibes and harmonicas.)

It was unusually fun to see the final product after listening to folks discussing aspects of it all summer.

I HAD posted a YouTube video of it below mainly so you could hear the song (the video is just a bunch of Spongebob clips put together by some fan, I guess), but I see that YouTube has removed it because of a "terms of use violation". I guess the "violation" had to do with the images, because I was able to find a kid doing a lip-synch to it, which you can watch below. The older one was a montage from the cartoon series, but this is fine for just hearing the song if you want.

We also got to see some "behind the scenes" footage related to this album that was pretty cool (including a fake lip-synched "session" with Andy, Tom, Jillinda and others), and then the Spongebob Movie just happened (?) to show on Encore this week, so now I've seen that movie (which is pretty radical at points; Spongebob and Patrick almost die a couple of times!).

Ah well, now back to reality, I just thought I'd share this unique moment of ours with you.
If you'd like to read Kyle's detailed (and admittedly biased) review of this record, click here.

Çlick the "play" button to hear the song and watch the kid (wasn't he on "Roseanne?") lipsynch to it:

4 Comments:

Blogger vivage said...

It's fun to see/hear things produced by your friends huh? My daughter would probably buy the album, I'll probably refrain. Only because I can only deal with Tom Kenny's voice for so long.

9/18/2006 2:12 PM  
Blogger Donita Curioso said...

I know what you mean about the SpongeBob voice but the album is so good I don't mind it. I even enjoy Kenney's performance. Kyle's review is right on. Andy does a beautiful job of layering melodies and sounds. I don't think I'll ever get tired of it.

9/19/2006 11:11 AM  
Blogger vivage said...

I sat and listened to the video and I really want to hear someone with a less strident voice sing the song.

I have something wrong with my ears (I'm must not be musical enough) because I can hear the beauty of the melodies and the layering if I sit and concentrate but mostly I can't but it totally gets lost (for me) by the vocals. It's one of those things that BillyC can hear and pick out but I can't.

It's sadly, a talent I don't have.

9/19/2006 6:30 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

From the "The Best Day Ever" myspace page (which I think is Andy Paley):

11/10/2006 08:00 PM - Nickelodeon
, LOS ANGELES, 90026 -

Vote at Nick.com for to pick the top 100 SpongeBob Squarepants episodes. Then tune in to Nick for a 24-hour Spongebob MARATHON on November 9th. The Best Day Ever Episode will premiere at 8PM/7c on Nickelodeon featuring the song The Best Day Ever!

10/25/2006 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home