Monday, June 26, 2006

Monday

I updated my resume yesterday and applied for that job today. It's kinda exciting and kinda scary. I know it's always a long shot, but it would be so cool for us if that job worked out.
Then I got a haircut, so I'll be presentable if they call for an interview.
Then I set up a profile at ESRI, the GIS place in Redlands, and looked at what jobs they have available. Looks promising, but I think I'll hold off a week before applying there, because they look more together for hiring software engineers, and I'd rather get this Riverside job if it's possible, so I'll give them a head start, I guess.
I signed up with Monster last week, and today a headhunter from Macarthur Associates called. She said she works mostly with Orange County (Irvine) employers, but she'll let me know if she finds any IE jobs that would be compatible.
Doni and I put some jewelry and stuff up for auction on eBay, and still have more ready to put up, but Doni's still recovering from yesterday's drum corp volunteering so I'll let her rest. Tuesday morning now; we have about 14 items up on eBay; I think that that's more than I've ever put up at once before. I'm looking in to how to post to Cragslist now. Just a sellin' fool...

9 Comments:

Blogger vivage said...

There are IT jobs in town? OMG, that's hard to believe.
I used to know a guy that worked in Ops at ESRI. Well, I knew him when he and I worked at TRW 15 yrs ago. He left to become a director or VP But dang, I've forgotten his name!

6/27/2006 8:44 AM  
Blogger vivage said...

Trammel. His last name was Trammel. First name Steve.

6/27/2006 8:45 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

I'm not an IT person ("move!"), so I really don't know if there are IT jobs in town or not. I _think_ I saw "Information Technology" as a category on the ESRI jobs site.

IT jobs are much more pervasive than software engineering jobs, but recently they're at even greater risk of being outsourced. Most companies have internal computer networks and computer users, and somebody (IT) has to hook all that crap up and keep it working. But so far, I have only found four companies in the Inland Empire that actually need software written in support of their products.

I worked at TRW in Redondo Beach around '78. I don't think I ever met a Steve Trammel (we didn't mingle much). Did he enjoy working at ESRI?

6/27/2006 10:28 AM  
Blogger vivage said...

I suppose I lump anything with software development into IT because of the technical aspect and for a few years thats the niche it was housed under where I worked. Each dept had it's own vp (IT and Dev) but the company was sorted like this: Sales/Customer Serv, IT/Dev, Accting/Facilities.

The above is of no importance whatsover!

I think Steve loved ESRI - he was much happier there than in our political machine. And I think since he went over as a Director or VP instead of Manager he was very happy. He might still be there.

6/27/2006 12:08 PM  
Blogger vivage said...

Oh yeah and our branch of TRW was data information for the RE and banking industries so we didn't cross polinate with other TRW divisions. Not even Credit.

6/27/2006 12:10 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Yeah, no way a credit group is going to mingle with a defense group, I'd guess.

6/27/2006 4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Shit, I don't read your blog for um... a while and ... you've been busy! Wow, many thing going on for you. But a job? What's up with that? How cool would that be to get a job so close to home.

I'm getting pretty excited about our visit with you guys. Brand spanking new PotC to boot.

Yeeeha!

6/27/2006 8:10 PM  
Blogger Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

Do told me about the job prospect. I will make any superstitious gesture of your preference in hopes it works out.

6/29/2006 11:46 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Babor,


I suppose that if belief is the driver for superstitious gestures, then whichever one you believe will be most appropriate and efficacious would be best, thanks.

7/06/2006 8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home