Thursday, May 19, 2005

Paige got bit by a camel spider!

About an hour ago, I came home from a trip to Von's. Paige and Donita were on the computers, looking for pictures of camel spiders. Paige was upset, saying that she was bit by a camel spider in the living room. Donita and Paige had trapped the thing under a bowl and sprayed it with bug spray.

I went and looked; yep, it looks like a camel spider!

I kid you not, this thing was here in our living room! About an inch in length, and fast as the dickens. It bit her on top of her foot. She had read the urban legend, like this one and thought she was dealing with a highly venomous flesh-eater. Pretty scary. But the myth isn't true. I quickly did some more web research, and found that they're probably not venomous at all, and that they actually DO exist around here! In all of my 25 years here, I never saw one before! I called a poison control hotline, and the guy said that it belongs to the "tarantula group." Unfortunately, this upset Paige because she _knew_ it wasn't a tarantula. A little more research, and we decided to take her to an emergency room, just to be sure. Better safe than sorry. Doni's there with her at the moment. I expect a phone call after she sees a doctor.
While we're waiting, here is another article about camel spiders in Arizona and the southwest.
Well, it's midnight and they just came back. Paige is fine. We'll find out how much the emergency room cost.
Good night.

3 Comments:

Blogger vivage said...

Thats one ugly critter. I'm not askeerd of most spiders but if I saw one of those big-uns I'd be peeing my pants.

Poor Paige, just thinking you might have a flesh eating spider bite, yikes!

5/20/2005 6:44 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

This thing is definitely creepier than a regular spider. Once, when we were kids, a tarantula ran up one arm and down the other of my brother out at Joshua tree.

I know that was a very bad sentence, I decided to go with its delicious danglingness.

5/20/2005 4:22 PM  
Blogger Donita Curioso said...

Now we're thinking I brought it home with me from Texas. My suitcase was sitting open in the living room. It might have crawled in when I was at the ranch.

5/20/2005 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home