Saturday, May 14, 2005

trio jam last night

John the bassist and my brother Ken and I were planning to practice last night at Ken's but John didn't show. Ken's daughter (and singer) Amber did. So the three of us did some new songs suggested by Amber. I'd never heard any of them before, and don't know their names. One was nice and upbeat, cool. Another one was very... ...passionate, kind of dark, I guess some might call it "emo". Amber likes that stuff, but I can imagine driving folks away if we did too much of it. I want to do "funtime party music" for the most part. And we half-figured out what to play to a song she had authored years ago.

Originals can work, especially if you have a strong songwriter in the band (like Michael Kohl in Hut Hut). But "my first song" type songs scare me a bit; there can be a lot of ego involved, and what if you don't play it enough for the author?

Ah well.... Today, I'm on my own. I plan to study appraisal for the rest of the morning, and then just enjoy solitude. I may go over to Ken's later to bring home my gear, since they're going to be gone for a week.

No word from Doni so far today, but I'll probably hear from her tomorrow, when she gets to Dean's. I hope all is going well for her.

I watched "Fantastic Voyage" early this morning (because it was the best thing on?) for the first time in decades, and was surprised at how lame it was. I guess it was a lot cooler in '64 when I was eight. How's this for a gaping plot hole: These folks and their sub are miniaturized and injected in a body, and do brain surgery with a laser (whose beam was white, by the way). Well, the sub (along with Donald Pleasance) is destroyed by white blood cells, but the rest of the team makes it out the patient's eye. But what happened to the sub? Just because it had been torn to shreds wouldn't mean that its constituent mass wouldn't re-enlarge along with the folks who made it out. So the patient should have had a rapidly-expanding mass of sub particles in him. He shoulda blobbed out, with (I'm sure) associated loss of blood.

BABOR, I hope this is sufficient to increase the internets' testosterone level for now. But just in case it isn't, here's a boost:
Boobs! Fire! Football! War! Let's go break something! Heh heh, heh heh...

Okay, now on to study.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Oh, it all makes so much better sense now. Thanks for the explanation, Dean! Now if only they'd take care of the these pesky quarks...

5/14/2005 5:45 PM  
Blogger Donita Curioso said...

Countering with estrogen rockets: Periods! Childbirth! Chippendale's! Lunch! Shopping! Periods again!

5/17/2005 5:43 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Can't... stand... intense... barrage... can't... give... in...

5/17/2005 7:38 PM  
Blogger Donita Curioso said...

Dammit, Jim!

5/17/2005 11:45 PM  
Blogger Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

I just figured there was supposed to be a sequel where the sub grew back to normal size. Kind of like "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids."
Bodacious Ta-tas! Topless joints! Tan lines! Beer Bongs!

5/18/2005 9:15 PM  
Blogger Donita Curioso said...

Hold my purse! Breast milk! Buy me some tampons when you go to the store! Menopause! Placenta!

5/19/2005 12:03 AM  
Blogger vivage said...

PMS

5/19/2005 12:37 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Well, all I can think to say is there seems to be a vas deferens between men and women. Bollocks!

5/19/2005 7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home